- Join us
- Summer Break!
- We will reconvene at the start of next term.
List of Subscribers:
- A. Smith
- N. Forcellini
- D. Malz
- B. Mencia
- G. Goldstein
- B. Andrews
- C. Parmee
- S. Spurrier
- L. Yu Yang
- P. Verpoort
- E. Rodriguez-Chiacchio
The Journal Club provides an informal environment to practice presenting scientific material, a platform for discussion, as well as exposure to a broader background in physics. Everyone is welcome to attend, but if you are interested in giving a talk please let us know (by emailing as2457 @ cam.ac.uk).
Talks should be a maximum of 50 minutes with at least 10 minutes of discussion about a classic paper (generally pioneering or groundbreaking, see below for a list of suggestions) of the speaker's choice. The majority of the time should be spent introducing the paper in a pedagogical fashion. Blackboard presentations are preferred but the subject matter is generally unrestricted (of relevance to TCM).
The next speaker and their chosen paper will be announced at the end of the meeting, via the mailing list and will be shown to the right. Subscribers will be listed to the right in the order they will present. Each session is chaired by the previous speaker, the role of whom is to introduce the speaker and lead the discussion. Members are generally expected to have read the paper and the chair is expected to read in enough detail to lead the discussion.
- P. W. Anderson - Absence of diffusion in certain random lattices. Phys. Rev. 109, 1492 (1958)
- E. Abrahams et al - Scaling Theory of Localization: Absence of Quantum Diffusion in Two Dimensions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 42, 673 (1979)
- G. E. Crooks - Entropy production fluctuation theorem and the nonequilibrium work relation for free energy differences. Phys. Rev. E 60, 2721 (1999)
- R. P. Feynman - Slow electrons in a polar crystal. Phys. Rev. 97, 660 (1955)
- J. H. Shirley - Solution of the Schrödinger equation with a Hamiltonian periodic in time. Phys. Rev. 138, B979 (1965)
- C. M. Caves - Quantum limits on noise in linear amplifiers. Phys. Rev. D 26, 1817 (1982)
- Adam Smith (9th June): L. V. Keldysh - Diagram Technique for Nonequilibrium Processes. JTEP V. 20, N. 4, p. 1018 (1965)
- Ezequiel Rodriguez-Chiacchio (2nd June): D. Jaksch, C. Bruder, J. I. Cirac, C. W. Gardiner, and P. Zoller - Cold Bosonic Atoms in Optical Lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3108 (1998)
- Philipp Verpoort (26th May): Shuang Jia, Su-Yang Xu & M. Zahid Hasan - Weyl semimetals, Fermi arcs and chiral anomalies. Nature Materials 15, 1140–1144 (2016)
- Yu Yang Fredrik Liu (19th May): C. L. Kane and E. J. Mele - Z2 Topological Order and the Quantum Spin Hall Effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 146802 (2005)
- Stephen Spurrier (12th May): Douglas R. Hofstadter - Energy levels and wave functions of Bloch electrons in rational and irrational magnetic fields. Phys. Rev. B 14, 2239 (1976)
- Chris Parmee (5th May): M. Srednicki - Chaos and quantum thermalization. Phys. Rev. E 50, 888 (1994)
- Bart Andrews (28th April): D. J. Thouless et. al. (TKNN) - Quantized Hall Conductance in a Two-Dimensional Periodic Potential. Phys. Rev. Lett. 49, 405 (1982)
- Garry Goldstein (21st April): See chapter 17 - Heavy electrons (sections 17.3, 17.5, 17.6) of Piers Coleman - Introduction to Many-Body Physics
- Beñat Mencia (7th April): A. A. Abrikosov - On the Magnetic Properties of Superconductors of the Second Group. Sov. Phys. JETP 5, 6 1174 (1957)
- Daniel Malz (31st March): J. H. Shirley - Solution of the Schrödinger equation with a Hamiltonian periodic in time. Phys. Rev. 138, B979 (1965)
- Nicolo Forcellini (10th March): P. W. Anderson - Localized magnetic states in metals. Phys. Rev. 124, 41 (1961)
- Adam Smith (3rd March): S. R. White - Density matrix formulation for quantum renormalization groups. Phys. Rev. Lett. 69, 2863 (1992)
- Ezequiel Rodriguez-Chiacchio (24th February): R. H. Dicke - Coherence in Spontaneous Radiation Processes. Phys. Rev. 93, 99 (1954)
- Phillip Verpoort (17th February): J. Kondo - Resistance minimum in dilute magnetic alloys. Prog. Theor. Phys. 32, 1 (1964)